I kept reading from the
10 quotes, and the desire to gag evolved into heartburn with the guilt and
annoyance this one induced:
I tried easing my conscience by telling myself this lady clearly had
not met her match yet, as I had, three times over. The older two had been
little monsters all day and the youngest a monster all night. I felt like I was
surrounded constantly by monsters, little hellions bent on finding out just how
crazy they could make their mother.
Well, I finally broke. The Monday before last [April 27], I stormed out of the
crying baby's room after putting the older monsters to bed (note how the
youngest one knew to take over for them); I then slammed some doors, leveled my
husband's attempt to manage my meltdown, and concluded with the strongest
threat I could safely keep: "I'm going for a walk...and I might come
back!"
I did come back, to a husband quietly folding laundry and a baby screaming in
her room. I was informed that she was "starting to give out" and that
at nine months, she would be just fine.
Well, I wasn't fine. I slammed around the kitchen trying to
drown out the noise until I could agree that her cries were becoming less
enthusiastic. When she again awoke around 3 am, I was too tired to react with
the same irrational motions of the past nine months--the ones that landed her
in bed with two warm bodies and an endless food supply, whom she usually
wakened another three times before morning.
I told my friend of my plan to let the baby "cry it out," and she was
so proud of me and reminded me that it would get harder before it got better,
but after three nights, she'd be sleeping through the night. This friend is
very good at being firm with kids and getting good results (she has to with six
children!), so I took heart.
After the second and most difficult night with our baby-breaking, I bumped into
another friend, who commented that I looked tired. I almost explained that I'd
listened to my baby cry for an hour the night before, which had left my
adrenaline surging long past the time the baby's cries petered out; but then I
remembered that this friend had once said she would never let a baby "cry
it out."
I managed to curtail my response to a mere, "Oh, last night we let the
baby cry for a bit since I'm kind of going crazy without sleep." Her terse
response of "I didn't sleep for three years with my two" fortunately
finished with a concession that "perhaps by the third child, you have to
be more firm." With that vote of confidence, I faced the third night,
praying desperately that the baby would sleep better.
And she did.
After maybe 10 minutes of half-hearted wails around 3 am, she decided sleeping
was a better use of her energy. I'm likely jinxing myself, but I'm now going on
over a week's worth of of full nights' sleep!
It's amazing how adequate sleep can make everyone nicer...
 |
| At my Uncle Wayne's funeral. My Uncle Kirt in the background. |
I had a good
conversation with my mom a couple days later, one where I stayed up late with
my phone plugged into the charger so that I was crouched near an outlet but
hardly noticed because I needed that talk more than I needed comfort or sleep
(and hey, after several days of good sleep, I felt rich with it--like I could
start handing it out to anyone who needed it).
Anyway, I got talking
with her about Mildred's thoughts on being paid with "pure love" for
being a mother. I finally realized that the kids are not the ones paying me
because they are not my employer. I am caring for God's children, and He pays
me, so to speak, by giving me the chance to feel pure love for
them, just the way He does. And how would I develop that love if it weren't for
the messes, the tests of my patience, the sacrifices of my comfort, and the
anxiety that I might be doing it all wrong? The kids are doing their job by
providing me the perfect ingredients for my growth to take place. Some just get
a little more generous than others it would seem.
 |
| April's (de)construction site |
 |
The After Mother's Day Payback (couch cushion turned snowstorm?)
|
I know Mother's Day was
the second Sunday of this month, but I've needed the whole month to get these
feelings into words. Every time I think the Hammond barrel of monkeys is
running low, I remind myself that we don't need to be in a hurry to spend all our fun, creativity and energy in one day. Remembering whose
these children are, remembering why I have them on loan, and remembering that
they need me to take care of myself--it all reminds me that I am nearly
everything to them right now. And if I do it right, I will work myself right
out of a job.
[Or right into a promotion! Some day I'll be "Grandma Elissa." Yikes! I think I'll just try to stick to this motherhood-one-day-at-a-time approach...]
P.S. I did have a great Mother's Day:)
 |
| The day before Mother's Day, I tried making myself a sourdough chocolate cake, but after a series of mistakes, it didn't raise. Caitlin quipped, "Well, Mom, it's a good thing you're raising kids and not cakes." [I may or may not have eaten the whole thing by myself the following Monday while the kids played in their "snowstorm" and I retreated to the front porch...] |
|
|
|
|
|
 |
| I thought she had just noticed my tendency to rescue rainstorm refugee worms, but later Caitlin explained that "or" with a "w" at the beginning and "m" at the end says "warm." And she was right; it's all just a matter of perspective. |
|
|
Sorry for the weird formatting. I had to use a word document to rescue my post when it wouldn't save properly.
ReplyDelete